Become a Follower of the Big Dude!

Meet the divine Dude in this blog. This Dude has had and seen his share of sacred shit. He's not afraid of it or of its language. I can't relate to a god that's been crucified, but I can relate to one whom my government has imprisoned and humiliated. I can relate to one who's been raped by his own holy men. I can relate to one who grew up playing baseball or soccer and who dated the Prom Queen. I can relate to the god who knows the working of corporate conglomerates, pimps, and teen-age girls who are pregnant. I can relate to the god who loves alcoholics and drug addicts just a tad more than wall street hotshots or so-called holy men who abuse little boys. This Dude thinks all of us are mortal particles in an ocean of sacred shit. This Dude recycles.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

This Little Life

It's what we have.  This life.  When things get chaotic around me or in my brain, if I can remember to stop and check in, I can sometimes return to a serene place.

Checking in starts with taking a breath to slow me down.  Then I do a little scan of my physical self noting where there is tension or pain in the body--often it's in my gut or lower back. Then, I do an inner scan to see what thoughts I'm obsessing over, what emotions are overwhelming me or are just out of reach.

Finally, and this is the coup de grace, I say these words:  This is my little life.  This is my house. This is my yard.  These are my friends.  This is my doggie.

This small exercise makes me feel safe within my own container.  I feel grounded in my life.

When I was in college I wrote a poem that I never forgot.  It had a line that went like this:

"My little loves, crickets, night, and death's surprise" tell me that I'm not in charge and neither are the laws and rules of this world.  It went on to say:  "They crucify. Christ and friends who understand and you and I, die."  Kind of bleak, you might say, but it doesn't feel that way to me.  To me it says that this world and all of us within it are, to use today's term, dysfunctional.  It's part of the human condition, of being an innately spiritual being in a physical world.

How do we, all of us, begin to manifest spiritual principles like love and compassion in a physical world that values being the best over being together (to put it nicely).  Survival of the fittest instead of the well being of the least fit.  Oddly and counter-intuitively we do it by honoring our little life first.  By seeking our own enlightenment first.  Only then can we honor the lives of others and support their enlightenment.

So I start each day saying:  This is my little life.  Namaste.  Roxie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Anne for the good words. We have to have a long heart-to-heart soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    A heart-to-heart sounds good to me. I'm not going to be at the reunion though, so maybe it'll have to be by phone. Love you

    ReplyDelete