Become a Follower of the Big Dude!

Meet the divine Dude in this blog. This Dude has had and seen his share of sacred shit. He's not afraid of it or of its language. I can't relate to a god that's been crucified, but I can relate to one whom my government has imprisoned and humiliated. I can relate to one who's been raped by his own holy men. I can relate to one who grew up playing baseball or soccer and who dated the Prom Queen. I can relate to the god who knows the working of corporate conglomerates, pimps, and teen-age girls who are pregnant. I can relate to the god who loves alcoholics and drug addicts just a tad more than wall street hotshots or so-called holy men who abuse little boys. This Dude thinks all of us are mortal particles in an ocean of sacred shit. This Dude recycles.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Hands Together: Don't Shoot

About once a week, I get a call from the Fraternal Order of Police asking for a donation. I used to donate regularly but no more.  I don't take their calls.  I am appalled by the number of black people who are verbally abused, beaten and killed by police officers.  It is absolutely, unequivocally not OK. We need a zero tolerance policy for murder and assault by police officers. Forget the "internal investigation" process wherein police judge whether their brothers are guilty. We need to call it what it is and put these perpetrators in the criminal justice system.

I'm triggered today by the announcement yesterday that the officer who killed an unarmed black man in Baltimore went scot free in a "mistrial."  It seems that his fellow officers mishandled the evidence. Wait, what?  It was all caught on video tape.  How do you mishandle that?

I don't know what to make of this spiritually.  If I'm seeking inner serenity and enlightenment, should I turn a blind eye to these crimes against my brothers and sisters?  Should I pray for victims and perpetrators alike? What would the good God do in these situations?  I think of the parable of the prodigal son and the lost sheep.  Would Jesus have gone to find the police officer who committed the murder or stood with the black man?

Well, I'm fairly sure Jesus would always stand with those who are marginalized and mistreated, but that's a guess.  I know what the Big Dude would do.  Without question or hesitation, he would stand with the powerless.  I know what I must say the next time the FOP calls for a donation:  "The first month that I do not see a single incident of police crime against black people, I will donate."

I try (not very hard), in the meantime, to put my hands together in prayer about this.  I try to give the whole thing over to some higher being.  I'm not there yet.  I remain horrified at the visible and regular crimes of the police made transparent by the existence of cameras everywhere.  I want to fight back, not look away or pray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment