Become a Follower of the Big Dude!

Meet the divine Dude in this blog. This Dude has had and seen his share of sacred shit. He's not afraid of it or of its language. I can't relate to a god that's been crucified, but I can relate to one whom my government has imprisoned and humiliated. I can relate to one who's been raped by his own holy men. I can relate to one who grew up playing baseball or soccer and who dated the Prom Queen. I can relate to the god who knows the working of corporate conglomerates, pimps, and teen-age girls who are pregnant. I can relate to the god who loves alcoholics and drug addicts just a tad more than wall street hotshots or so-called holy men who abuse little boys. This Dude thinks all of us are mortal particles in an ocean of sacred shit. This Dude recycles.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Early Morning God

Some people find themselves very close to that spiritual awareness you could call God in the early morning hours. These are people who rise early and greet the earth before it awakens. Perhaps the lightening sky is especially clear with stars still visible. Perhaps there is a touch of pink just visible on the horizon. It is incredibly quiet and, wherever you are, the primordial universe seems to enshrine you.

That person, alas, is not me. I am tossing and turning in bed in those early hours feeling small and alone, wondering if the Big Dude has forgotten me. Wondering if he exists at all. Sometimes, I breathe my way through it until I see daylight crack through behind my curtains. Sometimes, I turn on the TV and watch the earliest news of the day.

Such a tiny space between me in my bedroom and the early morning outside. Why is it so hard to find spiritual connection inside my dwelling and so easy to find it if I stepped just 10 feet into the cathedral below the sky?

Inside my dwelling in the small hours, I worry about the day and maybe the weeks and months ahead. So much to accomplish and I so fragile it seems. Under the dawning sky, I am one with all of creation, in the moment, free of shackles and shoulds.

I am reminded of the Unity Church prayer:
The light of God surrounds me
The love of God enfolds me
The power of God protects me
The presence of God watches over me
Wherever I am, God is and all is well.

Big Dude, please remind me of this prayer and of your habitat just outside my window tomorrow in the wee hours when I feel so alone. Roxie

No comments:

Post a Comment