Become a Follower of the Big Dude!

Meet the divine Dude in this blog. This Dude has had and seen his share of sacred shit. He's not afraid of it or of its language. I can't relate to a god that's been crucified, but I can relate to one whom my government has imprisoned and humiliated. I can relate to one who's been raped by his own holy men. I can relate to one who grew up playing baseball or soccer and who dated the Prom Queen. I can relate to the god who knows the working of corporate conglomerates, pimps, and teen-age girls who are pregnant. I can relate to the god who loves alcoholics and drug addicts just a tad more than wall street hotshots or so-called holy men who abuse little boys. This Dude thinks all of us are mortal particles in an ocean of sacred shit. This Dude recycles.

Friday, August 19, 2011

What's Your Relationship Status?

What's our relationship status when it comes to the Big Dude, God, or the universal power? If there were a divine Facebook and you put up your profile, would you list yourself as single, it's complicated, or in a relationship? I woke up at 5:30 this morning and it hit me: Of course, I'm in a relationship with the Big Dude!

Think about it. I live in the context of this relationship. Sometimes, I bask in oneness with the universe; sometimes I wonder if we have any connection at all. Sometimes I'm yelling at god; sometimes I'm begging for attention. Sometimes I fight him for the remote (if you think about it)! Doesn't this sound like relationships you know?

It's exactly like it. Not only that, it's the longest relationship I've had, possibly stretching over seveal lifetimes. I ignore it; I hate it; I miss it; I long for it. Sometimes, I forget that I have a partner--that's how familiar and intimate it is.

I really can't imagine my socio/cultural fabric without the concept of a diving being. Whether I'm feeling agnostic or atheistic, theistic, or pagan on a given day, the concept of God is fundamental to my identity.

Happening at 5:30 a.m., this "aha" was literally a wake-up moment. This god that I like to call my "big dude" lives in and around me. How do you think of/feel about your god? What do you call him/her/it? What's YOUR relationship status with the divine? Think about it and write something in the comments box. What you say might touch someone forever. Roxie

No comments:

Post a Comment